It has been two years now since we visited Nabburg. It is a municipality in the district of Schwandorf, in Bavaria, Germany. It is situated on the river Naab, 23 km east of Amberg. It has a small but beautiful romantic old town.
The architecture of the medieval town of Nabburg, makes it possible to attain a glimpse of ancient times. The historic old town and the nearly completely intact town wall where the Mähntor and Obertor are landmarks for the significance of the town in the Middle Ages. Some of the sights include the Old Town Hall, the Bürgerspital, Dechantturm, the Palace Court, the Schmidt-Haus, the Church, the Pulverturm and the Zehentstadel. There are guided tours offered all year round. You can also make a trip around like what we did during our visit. It was quite interesting.
This is the Obertor (translated in English as “over gate”). The two-storey, octagonal tower with an open staircase which lies on the north-western exit of the town. At the outside wall one can find traces of a portcullis. The date 1565 next to it, shows the time of a renovation.
The town hall of Nabburg, has already been built in the year 1417. In the 16th century the tower with the clock, the extension in the style of the Renaissance with the portal, the stairs and the loggia, followed. In the town hall, there were small shops, the scales of the town, a conference hall and furthermore a wedding hall. The house was misappropriated more than over 100 years until its redevelopment from 1995-1998, it became the headquarters of the Mayor and the seat for the administrative community of Nabburg.